26th January 2017 was Young Carers Awareness Day, a national day of recognition for the UK’s 700,000 young carers.
Young Carers Awareness Day on 26th January was a brilliant day, but young carers need support all year round. Carers Trust launched Young Carers Awareness Day (or YCAD) 2017 to be a day where everyone recognises the challenges that young carers face.
When I grow up
We want people to understand how difficult it can be for young carers to realise their hopes and dreams for the future unless they have the right support in place. This year’s theme is ‘When I grow up’ and it’s all about helping young carers to achieve their dream jobs or career, and we want everyone to be a part of it. We’ll be highlighting how for the 700,000 young carers across the UK who are caring for their sick or disabled mum, dad, brother or sister, this is impacting their lives.
- Share what you’re doing on social media using the hashtag #YoungCarersAwarenessDay (and if you like #whenIgrowup), tweet @CarersTrust or post on the Carers Trust Facebook page.
- Text YCAD17 £3 to 70070 to donate.
Carers Trust provides free YCAD materials for schools which you can download:
- Find out Who young carers are and what they do (PDF, 592KB)
- Use our YCAD 2017 promotional posters (PDF, 3.2MB)
- Read Stories of young carers, take a quiz and be a young carer Agony Aunt (PDF, 169KB)
- See Fun ideas for school activities and lessons (PDF, 587KB)
- Infographic: the impact of the Young Carers in Schools initiative (PDF, 113KB)
- Things your school can do during YCAD (PDF, 57KB)
- You can download Welsh versions of some of these materials on our Professionals website
Plus find Carers Trust on Babble (carers under 18) and Matter (carers aged 16-25). You can order promotional posters and postcards for both of these online communities by email.
Discover other events relating to youth mental health and wellbeing here.